Monday, October 29, 2007

Why I Decided to Become Vegetarian

Whenever I used to go out for meals, I used to (most often) order a nice juicy, rather large steak. I appreciated the feeling of satisfaction in knowing that not only did it fill me up, and taste delicious, but it actually fed my muscles. Sure, it might be high in cholesterol and clog up my large intestine, but they were prices I was willing to pay.

I went to the gym all the time and te plenty of fruit anyway, so what was the big deal?

I came to Spain in search of the "Best Beefburger in the valley" and sampled many. They were unfortunately, all of pretty poor quality. I think the restaurants acquired them from the same supplier. Due to my disenchantment, I decided to give up meat altogether and become a vegetarian.

JUST KIDDING

It was actually because of my good friend Matt Coleman, that I decided to hang up my burgers for good.

Within an irreverent-sounding email, titled "Earthlings," I found a link to a Google Video of the same name. I have to admit, I have a strong stomach. I don't mind watching a needle with some kind of pharmaceutical innoculation chemicals go into my arm, I've even seen a dead person, but this Documovie made me cry at my own disregard for my humanity.

The reason was not only that I didn't agree with how these animals were treated as they were slaughtered and hung on hooks, or that the industry was so massive and treated animals like slaves, but one scene was all it took to enlighten me.

How many of you have dogs? I have never in my life had a dog as a companion, I always wanted one, and still do, but I have neither the environment, nor the funds to suit one.

How many of you have had a dog that died? Got run-over? Had some kind of cancer or other illness that meant the only humane thing to do was to put it down?

How many of you had a dog, but grew weary of it's mis-behaviour and set it loose on the streets, in favour of a newer, more manageable puppy?

How many of you have seen one of such dogs recieve a lethal injection, and watched the life drift away from it in a matter of milliseconds?

How many of you have watched a group of said dogs get thrown into a gas chamber, for a more prolonged death?

Now replace the word "Dog" with "Person" and remove any inter-species prejudices you may have, especially the intelligence and hair coverage and you probably see where I'm coming from.

There are also various other concerns I have, such as global lack of food, Cow-Based Protein output being ten times less the input. The increase in price of grain due to bio-fuels being more profitable for the world's farmers. We're looking at a pretty uncomfortable future as far as food is concerned.

If I can live the rest of my life respecting my fellow Earthlings and not contribute to their pain and suffering, I will. If you want to see the video, I'll post it below.

If enlightenment is your thing, and you're not too concerned with iPods, new cars, keeping up with the Jones's, or you feel very strongly about your reasons for eating meat (ie, you will die if you don't eat meat) then it's probably not for you.

For those of you that want to see more, it may not have the same effect on you as it did on me, but now is the time you must wake up to what you are contributing to.


VIEW "EARTHLINGS"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does your body treat the microbial "Earthlings" which continually attempt to invade and disrupt your body?

hardcorr said...

Good point. My body seeks to destroy any microbial invaders that seek to destroy it. This is a natural process within most vertebrates, I assume.

The difference between my immune system and the meat industry is only very slight, that is, one is natural, the other is not.

And if a pig/cow/chicken ever attempts to enter my system I think they would endure a similar fate.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorially.

Anonymous said...

Does nature define morality? Is a lion eating a wildebeest "natural"?

hardcorr said...

Damn those evil, murderous lions for seeking to poke holes in my reasoning for choosing, from a moral (human) standpoint, to be vegetarian.

If I was a lion in nature I probably wouldn't be eating wildebeasts because I hated them. Probably because there aren't many supermarkets around specific to lions, with wildebeast steaks on special offer.

I, however, do not eat, or ever have eaten a wildebeast.

My body does not require a meat industry to survive. If it did, and I was morally opposed to cows being alive, I would probably rear cows, and when they were old enough, I'd kill the shit out of them and eat them with chips like I used to.

Lions gotta kill and eat wildebeast to preserve the "natural order" of things, or "Circle of Life" if you're into the Lion King.

I wouldn't call the meat industry/cars/iPhones natural. Would you?