Friday, January 4, 2008

Stuff on my mind

Hi folks, hope you had an excellent Christmas and a great new year beckons. You all deserve it. Trust me!

Right, I need to get down to business as I am currently cleaning the bar and have to get back to it soon. The reason I'm here writing while I should be working is I have a lot of stuff on my mind I need to get out.

By the way, if you happened to be in the bar last night and noticed I seemed a bit pissed off, here'e your chance to find out why.

This week one of my housemates bought a new TV. I don't tend to watch much telly as there's never anything good on. You all know that. But as we had it installed and it looked so pretty I decided I would try and make the most of it.

So last night me and Wayne were sat watching the evening news, we'd just turned on the TV and after a brief warning of the shocking pictures that were to follow, before we even got chance to change the channel we were exposed to images of a man getting killed in Kenya because he was a member of the wrong tribe, in the wrong part of town. He was hacked down by a bunch of guys with machetes. In sheer disbelief of what we had just witnessed, and our disgust of the completely insensitive media, we changed channel (from Channel 5 to Channel 4) and witnessed the exact same footage all over again.

As some of you may know (those of you who know me) I have changed quite a lot during my stint in Spain. I'm very concerned with the fate of humanity as a whole and consider our personal dilemmas as being a part of a universal dilemma. The reason I was so shocked at what I saw was because if I had been one of those men in Kenya, I probably would have done the same thing.

And that's not to say the guy who was hacked down and murdered was completely innocent. I'm sure he would have done the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

So what is my point here? Well, what I saw exposed a part of our (and my) humanity that from an objective point of view, would be considered evil. What they did to him was an act of evil. And in our daily lives, some of us commit crimes, or acts that we consider to be bad/evil/negative, and they plague us. All of our days. We can't take back the terrible things we do, even if we grow and become better people than before.

So what can we do to feel better and move on?

Here's what I think. We HAVE to forgive the guys who kill, burn down churches with 30people in them. We have to forgive those who cause pain and suffering. In doing this, we can forgive ourselves for whatever we feel we are accountable for. The key to all this is compassion. With compassion nothing happens in vain. With compassion we learn and grow. With compassion we are one, and we are forgiven.

So anyway, the TV is a 32" Sony Bravia and has in-built digital terrestrial. It's great. Really slim. Makes the livingroom look bigger. I'd really recommend it!

Glad I got that off my chest, anything I may have forgotten to mention? Let me know.

Right, gotta get back to mopping the mens toilets. Why can't they aim inside the toilet bowl? They should teach boys how to pee in school.

Peace...

1 comment:

xoxoAndrea said...

What you shared kinda reminds me of what happened in November in the Philippines. I changed my mind telling you about the incident as it might piss you off even more. But all I can say is, it's hard to see what a person can be capable of. It's saddening how people can stomach hurting others without any remorse or thought that this is also a human being who has a life, a family, a future. And for someone who could murder people like that, do they really deserve forgiveness? I guess the question is, did they ask for one in the first place? Just my thoughts on your blog. Regards.